Friday, September 07, 2007

Keyword Change Logs

This is my first official (but certainly not the last) gripe about Google AdWords. We all know that Google has done a lot (just look at my previous post), but tracking keywords to me is very similar to project management or software development.

It needs a CVS! Please!

The fact that the software doesn't have a way to log changes means to me is that I must have a great memory and I must be constantly sending emails to coworkers about changes. Why is this so important you say? Imagine this if you will. I am the only SEO/SEM at my office. Now imagine that I perhaps DO keep track of my changes to the keyword/ppc campaigns in Google on little stickies of paper all over my desk. Now imagine if you will that I have been doing this for years. Today I get hit by a bus, and all that institutional knowledge is lost to the patterns of the universe never to be seen again. This should make you shudder (if you are not thinking of personnel loss in your disaster recovery plan you really need to address the issue).

Have a CVS, even if it is a notepad like application. Now what would be really nice is to be able to track changes to keywords, ads, campaigns, bids, etc in the Google applications. The stand alone client allows you to batch and to peg a note, but no other client can see those notes, they are saved (somewhere) on the local device. Come on! A SQL table is not that hard to add to the AdWords package. Instead of integrating a group-ware check-in/check-out system, I am left to create one.

Grrrr...and don't tell me it will be in Urchin 6, I hear that from too many people.

Ok - this is me stepping of my soap box.

No comments: