Saturday, December 15, 2007

DMG Converter for OS X


DMG Converter is rapidly becoming my archiving tool of choice for OS X. With the exception of creating encrypted images, this nifty and free utility does just about everything else. It currently has support for just about every compression type across most major formats.

I personally use it to archive those CDs/DVDs which manufacturers still seem to want to send out. I prefer the dmg format, but sometimes when you need some cross platform support an .iso is the only way to go. The real beauty of this application is that if you are like me and are running XP/Vista in parallel, you will need a quick and easy way to get the iso loaded, and without having to stop what you are doing, and go searching for a physical media like a CD or DVD. This makes it easy to load in parallels when you need to get something done quickly. I have included screen shot of the types of images the converter accepts and understands. This application is written for Tiger (10.4.x) but so far I have had no issues running it in Leopard (10.5.1).

No comments: