Monday, June 07, 2010

Chrome Extension: Incredible Startpage


I am finding that for search and daily tasks, Google Chrome is rapidly replacing Firefox as my default browser. I'm still amazed at how this transition has happened. I still use Firefox for download management, debugging, and the like, but my main browser now is Chrome.

This leaves some slight functionality issues with Chrome. All in all I have managed to find what I need to complete my tasks and make things seamless. Then I find this little jewel of an extension. The company is Visibo, the extension is the "Incredible Startpage". This little add-on grew rapidly on me. I find the native and default startpage on Chrome spacious to a fault. I cannot really reorder my list, and the thumbnails of web lages are unnecessary for me. The bookmarks bar is limited to the length of the window, so things are not as elegant as they could be in my humble opinion. Incredible Startpage fixes most of my issues.

First the bookmark frame, this allows me to keep a double column list of my most commonly used bookmarks on a new tab. This is nice. It keeps the fav icon as a reference and offers more than what the bookmarks bar offers in terms of space (I like a fixed width window).

The next is the columns for closed tabs and a longer bookmarks list, which I can use to add and remove bookmarks to my bookmark frame. Lovely!

The next cool feature is the post-it. This allows me to write in small things and then post them as an email or calendar item to Gmail or Google Calendar, both services I use extensively.

Add to this the fully customize CSS and background images which allow you to tailor your new tab page as you like, and I feel right at home (of course I've totally geeked it out with Dr. Who wall papers). By default the extension has an array of images, but you can also direct link to any image out on the net, the downside is no local image support, but that's fine by me.

All in all this is a great extension for my daily operations (email, web, search, school). I love the arrangement and layout as well as the personal touch. Great Job Visibo!



No comments: