Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Fall Personal Project


So this fall's personal project will be to install a personal IDS at my home, then try like crazy to penetrate it. Snort snort snort. After writing several papers on the software I have come to respect it even more.

I often check the basics of a site or of a home network setup by using the "shields up" but I know that my router kills the majority of the traffic which the service tests for in a vulnerability test. I am looking to setup a fully functioning DMZ with a snort based NIDS and then slam it until I can break it (without cheating of course). I have ordered a new router simply because I have been a little lapse on keeping my encryption as strong as I can and it's time to do so. I also reall like some of the new functions in netgear's newer routers which allows the creation of a DMZ out of the box.

Also, I will probably use Ubuntu and some sort of small form factor like a mac mini or a dell zino since I need power to be a consideration. I would love to keep it in the ubuntu family line though, I need to beef up my skills in administrating one since it has been almost a year since I set a box up with ubuntu.

We will see how it goes. I will post to a page here or keep it updated in the blog.

No comments: