Monday, October 08, 2007

Gateway refuses to downgrade Vista to XP

I tried to get a laptop downgraded from Vista Home to XP. This is the chat session from Gateway technical support. This was recorded at roughly 8pm CST on 10/8/07.
-----------------------------------
James_GWER7961 joined the incident.

James_GWER7961 says:
Thank you for contacting technical support. My name and badge number are James_GWER7961. Please hold while I review your issue.

James_GWER7961 says:
Hi Chris! How are you?

Chris Copeland says:
James I have had better - but thanks for asking

Chris Copeland says:
:)

Chris Copeland says:
I would like to know how to trade in my license of Vista for a license of XP

James_GWER7961 says:
According to your submission and my data, the serial number for your Gateway system is xxxxxxxxxx. Is this correct?

Chris Copeland says:
unless I'm reading it wrong - yes

James_GWER7961 says:
Thank you for verifying your information. I see that you would like to trade your operating system to Windows XP from Windows Vista.

Chris Copeland says:
yes please

James_GWER7961 says:
I apologize but we do not offer trade in for retail products and parts specially software.

Chris Copeland says:
so I have a license to an OS that I cannot use?

Chris Copeland says:
none of my applications are vista ready

James_GWER7961 says:
For us to further assist you with your concern, I need to have your complete address, purchase location of your computer and purchase date.

Chris Copeland says:
I will have to gather the information on the purchase location/date as I do not have the receipt with me, but my address is (removed for privacy) arlington tx

Chris Copeland says:
let me see if I can get the receipt.

Chris Copeland says:
I do not have the receipt, but I know it was the Best Buy in Mansfield Texas

James_GWER7961 says:
Please continue to hold while I register your system.

Chris Copeland says:
Thank you

James_GWER7961 says:
Thank you for holding. I have successfully registered your system under your account.

Chris Copeland says:
thank you

James_GWER7961 says:
My information shows that your computer came with Windows Vista operating system preinstalled.

James_GWER7961 says:
Is this correct?

Chris Copeland says:
unfortunately yes

James_GWER7961 says:
Well, the software that also came with it are Windows Vista compatible.

Chris Copeland says:
yes that is true, but the software I own outside of the bundle does not.

James_GWER7961 says:
So its a third party software?

Chris Copeland says:
yes - and it is not working with Vista

James_GWER7961 says:
Have you tried to contact the manufacturer of the software that you installed regarding this?

Chris Copeland says:
yes. I was instructed to revert to XP SP2

James_GWER7961 says:
You would need to purchase a retail version of Windows XP, Chris. We are unable to replace the current operating system installed to yoru computer which is Windows Vista.

Chris Copeland says:
thank you

Chris Copeland says:
I assume I can keep a copy of this chat report

James_GWER7961 says:
To save your chat log, please click on the "View Live Log" button at the bottom left side of the chat window. It will open a chat log window. Please use the option to "Save log to disk". Keep in mind you do not need a disk or cd. You can simply save the log to your system.

James_GWER7961 says:
I hope that I was somehow able to provide you the information that you need.
----------------------------------

Tried as I did, I was told that I must go buy a copy of XP, retail. So now I have a copy of Vista that I am never going to use, and no way to get rid of it. I simply do not accept the terms of the Vista license Agreement. According to the EULA on Microsoft's site, the downgrade only applies to Vista Business and Ultimate users, not Home Edition (which I have pre-installed). So what do I do about a refund then? I simply do not want Vista loaded, but it looks like I am either being forced to run Vista, or being forced to buy a copy of XP. I want to make it clear that there is currently no operating system on the laptop. The Vista license is not installed on any machine.

No comments: