Saturday, April 05, 2008

VMWare running XP

So it's 1:15am Saturday morning. I'm sitting here patiently waiting for my XP license to finish installing on vmware server so that I can test the true nature of an absolutely useless install.

Yes I'm trying to run XP in Ubuntu so that I don't have to leave the Ubuntu environment to play Guild Wars...which is about as sad as the 6 hour beer I'm still sipping on at the moment.

Here is my reasoning though. I assume that the 12GB partition I set up in VMWare Server will be taken up by the XP install files (mostly), leaving me just enough room to have the 3gb file and the exe in the directory necessary to play. At the same time I want my cron jobs to keep running, most importantly the script I wrote which tags a keepalive file on several of my dot net nuke installations.

I should probably be running something more than a P4 for all this, but that's just not in the cards atm.

Next Stop is Solaris

Update - Ok so I guess in the early hours of the morning I don't think straight. I walked in to find that all the XP updates had completed. Then I remembered, there is no hardware acceleration for the game.....duh. I don't know why I didn't remember this early this morning.

Silly. On the other hand - I have a really nice XP instance running in Ubuntu now. I could use more ram as I did notice small stability issues when processing large applications.

No comments: