Friday, May 23, 2008

Ulteo for Windows

I decided to try something new. Since I need some basic Linux functionality at my office, but I am locked in to using Windows, I was pleasantly surprised at Ulteo.

I have the need to run and cron several scripts which I wrote for SEO and SEM purposes. These are custom scripts which I really want to have running with the need (or cost) of an additional server. Normally I would just purchase a Mac and be done with the whole issue. Since the company needed to reduce the costs I decided (with a whimper in my heart) to get a XP machine.

Enter Uleto. The installation was easy, although I do recommend the machine have a good pipe to download either installer. I would also suggest that you have at least 2GB ram, as the installer runs in a virtual machine instance. It also requires you to have registered at the ulteo.com website for their web services, which I didn't mind.

Ulteo links flawlessly (so far) with the windows environment. I get my wonderful bash, python 2.4.3 (kind wished to see at least 2.5 on the install, but I will test upgrading the python core later). The really nice part is that I didn't have to purchase VMware. I like VMware, but for small business, when you need to cut corners, free is better.

Give it a look, you might like it. Here is the link for the windows environment. You want the Ulteo Virtual Desktop. A torrent file is also available although I haven't checked to see how seeded the torrent was in my bit torrent utility.

Have fun!

No comments: