Thursday, March 25, 2010

eCalc



This last weekend I was working on some ANOV problems for my class. I found that I was having problems looking at my handheld calculator (only purchased for my proctored exams) and the standard calculator on windows was lacking a square root function.Now I know I can get around it by giving a power of .5 to whatever number to which I'm trying to find the root, but I find this silly. It's literally more work. This is why software was created.

This annoyance put me on a 30 minute chase on the web to find a software calculator which is not connection dependent. I wanted to find one which was available on the web for both windows and OS X. Someone read my mind.

I found eCalc. Web based, OS X dashboard ready, runs in windows. I found it nice, easy, and intuitive. This is great software! It does the following effortlessly:

Scientific Functions (Algebra, Trigonometry, Engineering)
RPN or Algebraic Operating Modes
Interactive Unit Converter
Linear and Root Equation Solver
Complex Number Math with Polar and Rectangular Formats
Drop-Down Stack with History
Interactive Decimal to Fraction Converter
Free Online Calculator
Windows Desktop Version (Win98,ME,NT4,2k,XP,Vista) (Also works in Win 7-64b)
Mac OS X Dashboard Version

Plus: A square root button...I'm so easily entertained.

$14.95. Done. Sold. My handheld crappy TI-blah-blah cost me $9 at target. I have to admit I do like well designed software and I have a tendency to purchase based on functionality and design and this calculator won my devotion on both fronts. There is even an iPhone app ready and available.

No comments: