Monday, September 13, 2010

Fall Personal Project: Update 1

So the fall home NIDS project is going well. I have removed the old router and replaced it with a newer Netgear b/g/n router. I also took the opportunity to do some cable management.

There is one feature I wish manufacturers would add to the routers and that is to export the machine address ACL to a file. It would have been really nice. As it s I just copied the table from the html, but still, since I use MAC ACL filters, it would make things easier.

So the 10/100 hub is on the way, I will order my dell zino this week after I finish some papers which are due. I would really like to thank all the folks over at the snort forums for their assistance and guidance in this project. They really know what they are doing.

I spent some time this weekend looking up the literature in some major journals on snort usage. I'm almost positive that my final dissertation will somehow involve the use of snort, but I'm not sure how yet.

More updates as the equipment comes to me. I will post a topology diagram later on the next update once I make sure everything is running.

No comments: