Friday, October 22, 2010

Fall Personal Project: Update 2

And working!....The Snort home project is a success. At least the setup and configuration of the project is a success. I have not tried to mess with the rules yet, but I will get there. I'm sidetracked at the moment by a layoff, contract work, classes, and job hunting. Honestly I'm surprised I got any of it done at all.

All said and done this is pretty sweet, and I would like to thank the guys at the snort forums and on the snort mailing list for all the help. I would also like to thank the guide writer for the in depth guide. 


Here is a list of the equipment I used: 
1. Dell Zino (aka Inspirion 400)
2. 1 Router (any type with a built in switch)
3. 1 unmanaged hub or a switch which you can set as a repeater (I used a Netgear DS108)
3. 1 Cisco USB to Ethernet dongle (USB 300M)
4. Ubuntu 10.4 or higher
5. UTP patch cables
6. 1 UPS for the networking equipment.

I will go through the configuration in an upcoming post, but needless to say it does work. There are some tricks I learned outside of the guide which will help along the way.

Here some photos of the setup all completed:

I have cleared the DB several times and started traffic over and it is working like a charm. The next post will cover the guide, software installs, and getting LAMP running.

No comments: